* Houston, as a city, is larger than the entire state of Maryland.
* The first domed sports stadium was built in Houston (Reliant Astrodome- 1962).
* Houston is both an inland city and a seaport thanks to its 52-mile man-made Channel. The Houston Ship Channel connects Houston with the Gulf of Mexico.
* If Houston were an independent nation it would rank as the world's 30th largest economy.
* There are consular offices for 92 different countries in Houston (the third highest concentration in the nation).
* Houston is considered by many as the Energy Capital of the world as it is home to 5,000 energy related firms.
* The Texas Medical Center, the largest medical center in the world, has been awarded billions of dollars in research grants and currently employs over 50,000 doctors, researchers, scientists, nurses, and technicians.
* Houston is home to the largest rodeo in the world, the Houston LIvestock Show and Rodeo, which attracts more than 1.8 million visitors each year.
* Houstonians dine out more than residents of any other city (4.2 times a week).
* Houston is a major cultural metropolis with four resident professional companies (ballet, opera, symphony, and theater). There are also 18 museums in the country's fourth largest museum district.